Accessible captions in video
Hi Online Community
Scope’s Digital Film and Media team would love your opinion on something, so we would be grateful if you could take a second to read this post.
At Scope we aim to make sure all our video content (like everything else we do) is fully accessible. At the moment we are looking into how we create video content for Facebook and the best way to include captions.
There are two main categories for captioning: Open Captions and Closed Captions
Open captions are part of the actual picture so cannot be turned off or changed in any way by the viewer. Most videos on Facebook that have captions will use this sort.
Closed captions are a separate element that can be turned on or off as well as including options to edit size, position, colour and contrast.
We have a couple of questions about how accessible these alternatives are and we would be so happy if you could share your wisdom with us:
1. Have you seen videos on Facebook or elsewhere with open captions (the ones you can’t turn off) that you found to be inaccessible?
2. Are screen-readers ever used to read captions? If you use a screen-reader, does it work with closed captions?
3. What would you think if Scope posted videos to Facebook with open captions along with a link to an alternative version with closed captions on YouTube?
If you have any other thoughts on this topic please let us know.
Thanks so much in advance!
(Digital Film and Media Officer)
- 54.2K All Categories
- 10.6K Start here and say hello!
- 5.1K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities
- 156 Community updates
- 12.1K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 799 Work and employment
- 590 Education
- 1.2K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 293 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 266 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.7K Talk about money
- 2.2K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.6K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.6K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4.1K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 688 Chronic pain and pain management
- 708 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 759 Autism and neurodiversity
- 939 Mental health and wellbeing
- 311 Sensory impairments