stopped ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

stopped ESA

Katrina180853
Katrina180853 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi my name is Chris I've had a triple heart bypass c o p d had my assessment yesterday and have done bloods and now they think its heart related  they've stopped ESA i have new fit note for new symptoms I'm at my wits end don't know what to do.

Comments

• Katrina180853
    Katrina180853 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    i want to do mandatory reconsideration but not got a clue.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hi Chris (Katrina180853)

I'm assuming your ESA has stopped because the DWP has said you failed the work capability assessment so if it's for a different reason this advice may not apply.

You can make a new claim to ESA if you have a new condition or if your previous condition has significantly worsened/deteriorated. If the DWP accept you have a new condition or that your previous condition has significantly worsened/deteriorated then your claim will start from the beginning of the 13 week assessment period during which you will be sent an ESA50 questionnaire thus beginning the work capability assessment.  This is a problematic area particularly if you are saying there has been a significant worsening or deterioration of your condition and it may be an idea to seek further advice on this point if you are not sure.

The alternative is making a claim to jobseekers allowance and there’s some information about that here

Depending on your circumstances and where you live you may be directed to claim universal credit instead, you can find out by putting your postcode in here

You could also request a mandatory reconsideration. There is some good information about how to do that here and here. You have one month from the date of the decision to request a mandatory reconsideration.

I hope that helps and please post back on here if you have any further questions

Best wishes

Paul

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.