Hi, my name is pennygates! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is pennygates!

pennygates
pennygates Community member Posts: 21 Connected
Hi everyone, I am shy but I have read a lot of your stories, and feel I have things in common with you. I'm a pensioner and have suffered for many years with ME, and Bi-Polar Disorder. More recently I have developed severe osteoarthritis, and severe restless legs syndrome. I have recently applied for PIP from DLA where I had enhanced daily living. I was given the standard rate. I received no points at all for mental health problems, despite suffering for many years. I just scraped enough points through my arthritis to get the standard rate of PIP. They said because I have strong pain medication (morphine) I could cope. The same with Bipolar, the medication would control it. So you can't win, either you aren't ill enough, or if you are ill  your medication takes the pain away completely (oh if only that were true). I have applied for a mandatory reconsideration, but don't hold out much hope after seeing the news about PIP recently. I know there are many people worse off than me, but I do struggle on a daily basis, and try to look after my husband who has multiple myeloma.

Comments

• Castleford1
    Castleford1 Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
    So sorry to hear about your problems moving to PIP.  I hope your mandatory reconsideration brings good news and hope in some way these new regulations re mental health get kicked out, we can but hope so.  I am a pensioner and life is hard as it is (I am a widow) without all this extra pressure and stress.  Good Luck
  • pennygates
    pennygates Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    Thank you for your message, nice to know someone listening. Yep, life can be hard.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.