Incapacity — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Incapacity

SethLaa
SethLaa Community member Posts: 111 Courageous
My employer has finally released me of my services on the grounds of 'incapacity'. Am I correct in thinking that 'incapacity' is a loose word for Medical Retirement, apologies for being a little slow out of the starting blocks. Russell

Comments

• Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    What are the "incapacity" grounds they have specified? Are you ill or disabled?

"Medical Retirement" would be if a private pension trust gave you a pension early. The DWP would not do that.

Did they follow a clear process?
  • SethLaa
    SethLaa Community member Posts: 111 Courageous
    Thanks for your reply, I am now severely disabled and virtually unable to do any type of work hence the reason why my employer released me' I have been paid approx £6k for 12 years service due to incapacity. I don't think that my Employer (G4S) would know what a 'clear process' is although i believe that all was above board 
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    If they knew you were disabled, they are required to make "reasonable adjustments" in the work place. This would be to either make your job easier or find an alternative role.

If you believe there was something they could have done but didn't then it would be worth discussing it with an employment law solicitor.

Under these circumstances your pay-off would be taxable and it would have to be spent before unemployment benefit was paid to you.
    A genuine inability to fulfil any role can result in a dismissal. I find it hard to believe they paid you a voluntary severance out of the goodness of their hearts though.

It doesn't sound above board to me.
  • mctayward
    mctayward Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Go cab they will either advise or put you in touch with somone who can help .ask for a appointment so you dont have to wait around in waiting room .

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.