Can I claim ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Can I claim ESA

746gem Member Posts: 1 Listener
I am in the process of claiming PIP due to mental health issues.  Work have put me on half pay & will shortly stop my pay all together. Am I entitled to ESA? Thank you


  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering

    Hi 746gem,

    You can claim ESA as long as you are not getting statutory sick pay (SSP). Your half pay probably includes your SSP at the moment. SSP is usually paid for 28 weeks, and would only stop before that if you were no longer employed.

    It's worth checking whether you can claim other benefits as your income is about to go down sharply, for example, help with the rent and/or council tax. You could try using the benefits checker as a starting point.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.