How to get an adult diagnosis — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

How to get an adult diagnosis

RDZ_photo Member Posts: 7 Listener
edited March 2017 in Autism and neurodiversity
I don't want to bother the gp as I feel I am high functioning and therefore may not be given a referral. I also don't want to take a slot away from someone who might need it more than me.

what options are there for getting a diagnosis that don't involve going private. Can I go direct to someone.

for the record I am a 33 year old adult wondering about a diagnosis for myself. Thank you. 


  • maryl
    maryl Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Dear R.D.Z. I would advise you to go to your G.P. and please dont feel you are taking away from others. There are many adults who have not been diagnosed and this needs to be resolved. Living with Aspergers can be complex and affect your way of life. The G.P. will refer you to the Adult Autism Team in your area. There is sadly a waiting list( can be up to a year) but I would recomend that you contact either Autism N.I. or Autism Iniatitives even though you don't have a diagnosis as yet. Yes you can get a private assessment but it is expensive and not usually accepted by the Health service.. Your G.P. must refer you if you make a request. During my work career I supported many adults who had a late diagnosis and were mis-diagnosed as having depression, O.C.D. or anxiety. Please do contact the above organisations or come back to me if you dont have any success.
    Mary L.
  • Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    HI RDZ, I've moved your post to our ASD advisor's page as she may be be able to advise you on this.
  • VioletFenn
    VioletFenn Member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Hi @RDZ_photo  and welcome to the forum.

    @maryl is spot on - you are absolutely entitled to see your GP and ask for a referral, so please don't feel you shouldn't. That's what they're there for.

    I have a private diagnosis (Aspergers) myself, but that's because the assessment pathway in my area is nigh on non-existent and also I wanted it purely for myself, not for any formal reasons (as @maryl says, private dx's are not always accepted by other health providers, although this is changing as more people are going that route through lack of other options). 

    My son went the NHS route though and although it's laborious it does absolutely work, so consider speaking to your GP. The National Autistic Society have good advice here for what to consider prior to seeking a diagnosis. 

    Good luck!

    ASD advisor, Scope


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.