mandatory reconsideration appeal for esa — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

mandatory reconsideration appeal for esa

newcomen23 Member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi I am not sure where to turn. I have been on esa for just over a year I suffer from anxiety and depression, I also have 
osteoarthritis in my knees and my back I am on tablets for both conditions. my day to day is hard I am in a lot of pain and my depression takes a massive hit because I don't socialize with friends or want to talk or speak to anybody.  I went for a D.W.P medical which didn't seem to go well because I got scored very low and and missed out stuff on the form.they have stopped my e.s.a they told me to go for a work base interview,  I am not sure what to do because I know feel so low than I ever did, I have X-ray reports medical papers certificates from the doctors ect, and my condition is worse than last year when I was on e.s.a I've put in for a mandatory reconsideration appeal. please can you help....kind regards c newcomen


  • iza
    iza Member, Community Co-Production Group Posts: 590 Pioneering
    Hi @newcomen23
    You have one month to write the mandatory reconsideration and send back. 
    You can write the letter yourself and argue in the letter with information you disagree with and explain your own reasons. If you think you cannot do it yourself than there is few option available. 
    1) book yourself urgently with Local Law Centre who can help you with forming letter, 
    2) some people go to Local MP's, 
    3) You can ask a person from your Citizen Office for help (if you have a child than you can probably book a session with adviser either via GP practice or by children's Centre in your area. ) 

    No many people knows that lots of Citizen Advice Services advisers come to Gp or Children Centre (in my Borough of London they do). Please check which they they come, book yourself for a session and they will help you with. 

    Please do not waste time as you have a deadline before the mandatory reconsideration needs to be send away. 

    I hope I helped a bit. 

    Have a good weekend. 

  • newcomen23
    newcomen23 Member Posts: 7 Listener
  • snuggie11
    snuggie11 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi this happened to me, did not score enough points so appealed, wrote letter saying I was not happy with outcome, I was sent a letter back saying I did not score enough points. I took it to tribunal, there was a lady judge a doctor & a lady taking notes.  I was given my esa back. Go to tribunal, it seems scary but is soon over. Get any letters from docs that you can, highlighting your problems. Find out if someone local can help you eg citizens advice. Good luck let us know how you get on x 
  • newcomen23
    newcomen23 Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Well got my apeal back not happy
  • Lindyjayne
    Lindyjayne Member Posts: 2 Listener
    I've recently been moved un WRAG from support group after 10 years, I'm now preparing for mandatory reconsideration, I scored 21 points at medical, I have a number of health problems, facial neuralgia, osteoarthritisin my knees, shoulders amd most recently X-ray's show areas of ostioarthrits in my spine, fibromyalgia  and depression as a result of living with chronic pain, I take large doses of pain meds, morphine, Tramadol, Pregabalin and oramorph as required. I shall be 63 in August, my conditions are unlikely to improve. I have to attend a work focussed interview this week and will have to comply with any recommendations they come up with, if I don't I will be sanctioned, tie whole situation beggars belief !!


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.