That was a gun! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

That was a gun!

Options
Zec Richardson
Zec Richardson Community member Posts: 154 Pioneering
Friday night and I'm sat in bed reading when all of a sudden 'crack' the distinctive sound of small arms fire outside. 
I got into  the chair by the window and looked out one way and my wife looked the other, nothing to see. I tell her that I am convinced it was a gun but there's nothing and so we get back in bed. 
At gone midnight there's a knock on the door and its the police, the guy over the road has been shot! 
Now I'm in the UK, not even a city but in the Essex town Southend on Sea 
So we have had armed police camped outside all weekend and I slept so well with the security of having the police outside our house. 
Since becoming disabled I have the very alien feeling of being vulnerable, what if someone breaks in, what will I do? 
I'm 6' 4" and I have never worried about someone breaking in, the simple truth is that if they did then they would regret it, because I would defend my wife and daughters with overwhelming force. 
But now, now I am in a wheelchair I worry. 
Strangely though, the guy getting shot didn't scare any of us. 

Comments

• Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Options
    The emotive crime story was beside the point but I think all disabled people feel more vulnerable than the rest of society.

Thankfully home invasions and violent burglaries are exceedingly rare in the UK. I feel more anxious when going out.

I never felt anxious before I was disabled but even normal crowds out shopping bother me now. Also I am much more scared that my body will fail while I'm out and I won't be able to get home.

I live alone and if anything happens to me there is no-one I can call for help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.