That was a gun! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

That was a gun!

Options
Zec Richardson
Zec Richardson Community member Posts: 154 Pioneering
Friday night and I'm sat in bed reading when all of a sudden 'crack' the distinctive sound of small arms fire outside. 
I got into  the chair by the window and looked out one way and my wife looked the other, nothing to see. I tell her that I am convinced it was a gun but there's nothing and so we get back in bed. 
At gone midnight there's a knock on the door and its the police, the guy over the road has been shot! 
Now I'm in the UK, not even a city but in the Essex town Southend on Sea 
So we have had armed police camped outside all weekend and I slept so well with the security of having the police outside our house. 
Since becoming disabled I have the very alien feeling of being vulnerable, what if someone breaks in, what will I do? 
I'm 6' 4" and I have never worried about someone breaking in, the simple truth is that if they did then they would regret it, because I would defend my wife and daughters with overwhelming force. 
But now, now I am in a wheelchair I worry. 
Strangely though, the guy getting shot didn't scare any of us. 

Comments

• Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Options
    The emotive crime story was beside the point but I think all disabled people feel more vulnerable than the rest of society.

Thankfully home invasions and violent burglaries are exceedingly rare in the UK. I feel more anxious when going out.

I never felt anxious before I was disabled but even normal crowds out shopping bother me now. Also I am much more scared that my body will fail while I'm out and I won't be able to get home.

I live alone and if anything happens to me there is no-one I can call for help.

Brightness