Parents, carers and disabled parents
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Respite for me.

Is there a service which provides for the parent/carer? I'm a single parent to a child with an ASC diagnosis. I'd like to be able to have a few days break.


  • devondwellerdevondweller Member Posts: 5 Listener
    By that I mean someone who can look after him, not provide a place for me.
  • Blue FrogBlue Frog Member Posts: 373 Pioneering
    Hi @devondweller yes there is quite a lot of support out there - but for some reason no-one ever tells you where!!! 

    Is there a carers centre or support servce near you? They can help you nagivate the minefield of finding the right support. 

    Children's Services (used to be social services) are the people most likely to help.  Each area must have a 'Local Offer' explaining what is available.  Just guessing from your username this may help

    Most areas have a children with disabilities team - a social worker could come and talk to you, see what your child and you need and refer you to the right place. You may be offered something like Direct Payments to employ someone to take your child out for a few hours, or anything up to a few nights with a specialist foster carer or in a short break centre. 
Sign in or join us to comment.