Michael Riordan: disabled blogger and researcher — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Michael Riordan: disabled blogger and researcher

Options
michaelriordan
michaelriordan Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited April 2017 in Start here and say hello!

Hi guys. I'm Michael Riordan, a 30-year-old gay guy with cerebral palsy, which affects how I walk and how I see. At school I was bullied and had to deal with an overbearing support worker. But I was very lucky to go to university, and recently completed my PhD. At 30, I'm still worried how people perceive me, particularly when I got out to clubs and bars. So I've created a survey about disabled people's experiences of UK nightlife, based on my own frustrations being mistaken for a drunk, which anyone can complete at https://enabl.in You might also like to check out my blog at https://www.michaelriordan.org.uk

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @michaelriordan welcome to the community, thanks for joining us.

We recently had a guest post by the brilliant @andrewgurza that you might like, it's about being a gay disabled man and how the media react to that.

You can also share your survey on the research boards here.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • michaelriordan
    michaelriordan Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Thanks for sharing @andrewgurza's very interesting post. One of the things I'm interested in is how the gay scene -- or the parts of it (London) which are "body-conscious" to use that horrible term -- respond to disability. Most of my own bad experiences have, however, been away from it. I ask questions about the LGBTQ scene in the survey, which I've cross-posted in the research section. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.