Premiums — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


SethLaa Member Posts: 111 Courageous
Does anybody know what my medical situation needs to be to either get the Enhanced or Severe Disability Premium (EDP/SDP). To cut a long story short I have recently had my Employment contract terminated by my employer due to 'incapacity', caused by Progressive MS, am now currently in the 13 week assessment phase for ESA and am looking forward (NOT) to many brown envelopes. I know what to expect with regards ''Assessments/DWP etc but know nothing about EDP/SDP. Your input will be greatly appreciated, Thank You so much.


  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Member Posts: 603 Pioneering
    You need to receive PIP daily living, live alone and no-one receives carers for you to get SDP. To get EDP, you either need to be on enhanced PIP care or ESA support group.

    Both are income based benefits.
  • SethLaa
    SethLaa Member Posts: 111 Courageous
    @Nystagmite, many thanks for that, unfortunately I don't live alone as my 21 yo son lives with me, as he work full time I dont get carers but I do get HRM+MRC. I am hoping to be placed in the Support Group but time will tell.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hello SethLaa

    The rules for SDP can be complicated, Nystagmite has detailed the main qualifying rules. In addition, if your home is your son's main residence and he does not co-own the property and he does not claim disability benefits himself or is registered blind/sight impaired, then it looks like SDP may not be awarded.

    As detailed above EDP is generally paid if a person receives high rate care of DLA or placed in the support group of ESA. 

    If you are placed in the support group the ED premium should be awarded and backdated.  Both the support and ED premiums should be awarded from when the assessment phase of ESA ends. The assessment phase ends after 13 weeks of ESA entitlement.  


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • SethLaa
    SethLaa Member Posts: 111 Courageous
    @Maria, many thanks for your input, I could be wrong (usually is) but something tells me that I basically need to wait until the 13 week assessment phase is over and which group I am placed in, it should really be 'Support Group' due to severe medical problems but only time (and many brown envelopes lol) will tell. Thanks again.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.