Am i entitled to any help? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Am i entitled to any help?

suekay Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, I am 48 years old and currently work as a checkout operator. I have degenerative disc disease in L5-S1, and therefore my mobility is limited and I am in constant physical pain on a daily basis. 
Walking any distance is difficult at the best of times, but especially at work I often just find it painful and exhausting walking from my checkout to the staff canteen at the other end of the store, I also use a stick to aid me walking. So that gives you done idea of my limited mobility. 
What I would like to ask is how do i know if I am entitled to any help or support either physically or in the form of any benefit? Currently I have a blue badge that helps with parking, but I have never asked for any help before and I honestly have no idea where to go and who to ask, even what to ask for.  So any help and advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks Sue x


  • Mol
    Mol Member Posts: 52 Connected
    Hello Sue you need to apply for living allowance on PIP, Contact the department for work and pensions and they will advice you what you can claim and if you are entitled. Read about PIP on here as there is a lot of help and advice.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @suekay there is a benefits calculator here that you can fill out to see what you could be entitled to.
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hello. I agree with Sam that using the benefits calculator would be an excellent idea, as you would be able to find out a lot of information about benefits in general, and about Personal Independence Payment in particular. There are two components to PIP, one called the Daily Living Component, and one called the Mobility Component. The first is for people who have difficulties with everyday tasks, either on physical or mental health / learning disability grounds, and the other is for people who have difficulty going on journeys or moving around. PIP is an excellent benefit to claim, as it can be paid to people who are in work, and it is not means tested in any way. The fact that you already have a blue badge means that it has been accepted, at least by your local authority, that you have difficulties in walking. However, the test for PIP is quite a bit stricter, and works on a points based system. Do some thorough research before you claim - you can look on the benefits calculator above, and there is also a very good guide on the DWP website:
    If you are on any other benefits, such as housing benefit, then sometimes getting PIP can have a positive knock-on effect - the benefits calculator will have more detail about this.

    Good luck!

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.