back to work — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

back to work

caroletj Member Posts: 1 Listener
Have been offered a the moment Im a full time carer to 21 year old son with ABI ...he's no longer classed as a dependent...

Would like to know if ill get any help with tax credits ect...also if carers allowance  is classed as income..can we not top up with working tax credits?..


  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hello. If your income from earnings exceeds £116 per week, then you cannot continue to claim Carer's Allowance. Whether or not you can get working tax credit will depend on your earnings and those of your partner if you have one. Any working tax credit calculation is initially worked out on the basis of your taxable income in the previous tax year (April 16 to April 17), so if you decide to claim working tax credit make sure HMRC are aware that your income for this tax year is likely to increase, to ensure that you are not overpaid. There is no straightforward answer about how your household income will be affected by you taking the job without considering things like your housing costs, savings and any other income, so I strongly suggest you have a look at the benefits calculator which is on the Scope website. This will help you to: a) make sure that your current benefit situation is correct, and b) compare your current situation with what would happen if you went into work. If you use the calculator, make sure you have all your relevant details to hand, including how much you would earn if you took the job.
    Hope this helps!

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.