Pip appeal — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Pip appeal

morgan56 Member Posts: 4 Listener
hello we're cun I get a pip appeal foams from please . I carnt download it off my phone thanks x


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @morgan56 have you applied for the Mandatory Reconsideration? If you disagree with the decision that’s been made about your PIP claim you can challenge it. You should challenge it within 1 month of the decision. This is called a Mandatory Reconsideration.

    The best way to apply for a reconsideration is to write a letter to the DWP explaining why you disagree with the decision. You need to make sure that the DWP receives the letter within 1 month of the decision. The decision date is on your letter - it isn’t the date you received it.

    Your decision letter will say that you can call the DWP to ask for a reconsideration. You can do this, but it is best to have everything in writing. If you’d prefer to call, make sure you follow up the call with a letter.

    If you have already been through this process and had your MR turned down then the next step is to appeal to an independent panel, called a tribunal.

    To be allowed to appeal to a tribunal, you’ll need:

    • your letter from the DWP with the words ‘Mandatory Reconsideration Notice’ at the top - if you’ve lost it, ask them for a new one
    • to send your appeal form in within one month of the date shown on the mandatory reconsideration notice
    The appeal form is here if you can download it and print it somewhere else.

    If you need this form in an alternative format, for example in large print or Welsh, please call
    0300 123 1142 if you live in England or Wales and 0141 354 8400 if you live in Scotland.

    You can also call the PIP claims line.

    DWP - PIP claims
    Telephone: 0800 917 2222
    Textphone: 0800 917 7777
    Calling from abroad: +44 191 218 7766 
    Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
    Find out about call charges

    Hope this helps  :)

    Senior online community officer
  • morgan56
    morgan56 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thank u so much for getting back to me . Yes I've had a mr but surprise surprise they didn't change they minds so think I will appeal thank you for the advice x
  • morgan56
    morgan56 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Also cun I ring deep and ask them to send me out the appeal foams x
  • jeanettef
    jeanettef Member Posts: 1 Listener
    i done a claim for pip back in 2015 i got turned diwn three times but i wrote a letter to them and didnt get reply so i rang them they told me they sent a letter back telling me i had go to a tribunal so they sent me forms back and i went to cab they help me with my letter i sent it recorded and got a letter back its gone to liverpool n am just waiting for a reply  i got very bad joint pain n aches n got asthma and depression anxiety n i suffer from panic attacks i am only on esa for now but i do not know what other beniffit i can claim as no one tells me which one so if you can advise me that be great thanks 
  • morgan56
    morgan56 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    I don't think you cun claim anything else rather than pip . I'm currently on esa work related but I'm going to ask for the foams for support group . As I too suffer with chronic depression and anxiety with the horrible panick attacks . And I suffer with restless legs syndrome so I'm currently going to appeal on my pip decision xx
  • wildlife
    wildlife Member Posts: 1,308 Pioneering
    [email protected]  If you haven't filled in a claim form since 2015 you will have to re apply for PIP as the timescale for Appeal will have run out. When was the last contact you had with anyone and what happened? It is PIP you need to be applying for. You'll need to get medical evidence of the things you mentioned and send that to DWP with your claim form filled in. Remember just having things wrong with you isn't enough you have to say how you are affected by your disability. What things you find difficult to do and what help you need. Hope that helps.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hi jeanettef,

    PIP is the right benefit from what you've said. If you got help from the CAB then hopefully you did appeal in time, and you're just waiting for a hearing date? (Or a response from a hearing made on the papers, if you decided you didn't want to attend). 

    It can take ages to get a tribunal hearing after you have had your mandatory reconsideration so I would just wait, or maybe ask the CAB if it is taking to long and you want to check.

    The timescale for appeal will not have run out if you have already put in the appeal form, and responded to their request about what type of hearing you want. 

    You could apply for PIP again if you think you have got worse in the meantime though. That's because the tribunal can only look at how you were at the date of the decision.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • wildlife
    wildlife Member Posts: 1,308 Pioneering
    edited May 2017
    @Will My reply to @jeanettef was based on her claim having been made in 2015 2 years ago. That's why I suggested she's have to reapply. Surely she wouldn't still be waiting for a hearing date from then or even the result of a paper hearing from a claim made that long ago?  


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.