Struggling with costs for cleaning — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Struggling with costs for cleaning

shirley1
shirley1 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I have cancer n n7merous other health issues i pay some to help me keep the house clean as i cannot do any jobs but am struggling with these costs is there anything not means tested as im over the threshold for means tested benefits

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi @shirley1

Welcome to the community. Are you getting all the financial support you can?

You could try Scope benefits and grants checker - just to make sure.

Where abouts do you live? I wonder if there are any local groups or services from the council that could help. Failing that, perhaps there are cheaper cleaning services you could use?

• mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Hi there Shirley, do you mind me asking if you receive PIP as that's not means tested. 

Also, is it worth getting in touch with cancer charity to see if they can support you during this hard time?  If you belong to a religious group, they may be able to help? 

I'm not in your exact position but I do know what it is like to crave a tidy home  and struggle with the most basic cleaning, cooking etc. Have to admit  one of my coping tactics is to lower my standards... Not ideal but, I prioritise getting myself and everyone fed, clothed, toilets and food areas clean and most weeks that'd all I manage. I know like you, it's not ideal at all. 
  • shehug
    shehug Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    If you are paying a agency you could look for a person to do it this way you wil get more cleaning time for your money and maybe a friend but be careful you don't get ripped off as well 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.