Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Universal credit help needed

NeshamaNeshama Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited May 2017 in Universal Credit
hi I realised I posted this in the wrong section so I'm just putting it I. The right place 

hello sorry if this post doesn't make much sense I'm so confused with universal credit and it's really overwhelming and worrying me.  I have esa in the support group and pip enhanced daily living  and standard mobility, waiting to here back about SDP. 

Basically i I had to move in with my last year mum after a massive deterioration and mental break down. Thankfully I've improved enough to move out with the help of my support worker/carer but now I'm in this area which is 100% universal credit and to get housing benefit I have to claim universal credit I believe. Is there anyone who can help me understand this better and just universal credit in general
  I'm so worried as they said it could stop all my money for 5 weeks. 

I have autism, Severe combined type ADHD, irlens syndrome, Dyspraxia, sensory processing disorder and OCD with depression. 

Thanks Neshama 

כל העולם כלו
גשר צר מאד
והעקר לא לפחד כלל


  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi Neshama

    I'm sorry to hear this is causing you so much worry.

    If you live in a Universal Credit full service area then i'm afraid it may be impossible to claim Housing Benefit (HB). You can check on the universalcreditinfo site here using your postcode. If it says you can't claim HB it may still be possible but this will only be if your claim would come under the exempt accommodation rules. This could be the case if your landlord is a charity or other non-profit making organisation and you are provided with care, supervision or support. I suggest you speak to your landlord about this as they should know.

    The only other possibility is if you have a previous HB claim on the accommodation you need to claim on. If you are returning to the same home you lived in before you had to move in with your mum then i suggest you check this further. It may be possible with some specialist help so i suggest you contact a local advice service. 

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.