Called in for an absence hearing — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Called in for an absence hearing

Sarahw40 Member Posts: 1 Listener
ive been called in for an absence hearing next week following a period of absence with anxiety and depression which are work related. I had to contact the crisis ten last night as work want the manager that I have raised serious concerns about to chair the hearing. I almost broke down yesterday. I have requested reasonable adjustments on my return to work but received no support and not even a phone call from my employer during my absence. Feeling very alone and scared about my future. 


  • AlexW_Scope
    AlexW_Scope Scope Posts: 220 Pioneering
    edited May 2017

    Hi @Sarahw40

    Perhaps you could contact the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS). ACAS provides information, advice, training, conciliation and other services for employers and employees to help prevent or resolve workplace problems. You can call their helpline on 08457 47 47 47 for free and confidential advice. 

    If you think you’re being discriminated against then the best people to talk to would be the Equality and Human Rights Commission's helpline, called the Equality Advisory Support Service. Their number is 0808 800 0082. They are the experts in discrimination although they do not have the resources to give specific legal advice.

    You can also call Scope’s free helpline on 0808 800 3333 if you feel you are being discriminated by your employer. Our opening hours are weekdays (except bank holidays) 9am to 5pm. 

    Hope this helps and good luck, Alex


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.