appalled by the whole intimidating prossess of pip — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

appalled by the whole intimidating prossess of pip

jannydoo Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited May 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
i am appalled by the whole intimidating prossess of pip,my husband had a very bad stroke 3 years ago and we claimed pip the assessor came out and boy did she act so lovely however this was not the case she was a wolf in sheeps clothing,she told lots of lies on her report so annoying so we waited for my husbands claim to come back and when it did he was granted 0 points i was furious i read the report this wolf had wrote she sid he had getting up through her questioning him and went to the toilet which ws total rubbish as it was me who went to the toilet as my husband had fell asleep during her tedious interview on reading this report i then went ahead and appealed against it telling them all the bits she was wrong on and yet again he got 0 points my husband will never be 100 percent healthy ever again and 3 years on we have just discovered he has prosterate cancer i hae applied for pip again for him i am dreading this i also care for him alone at home by myself no didtrict nurses nothing coming in after his prostrate removal operation and i do not qualify for carers allowances as the only benefit we have coming in is ESA £235 pound a fortnight i am sick and and i am tired but we have to get on with it i just feel like giving up 


  • wildlife
    wildlife Member Posts: 1,308 Pioneering
    [email protected]  What a terrible time you've had. I can only sympathise and hope that this time you get a better assessor. But if not please stay around and someone will help you. It's better to post on the "Ask a benefit advisor" if you need practical advice. What is happening now? Are you waiting for an assessment date? x 
  • Agnes
    Agnes Member Posts: 3 Listener
    My advice is as wildlife suggests to post on 'Ask a benefit advisor' forum. If you can't get an appointment with a benefit advisor in your area to manually help you complete the form before your form is due back you can phone up the Department of Work & Pensions and request a time extension. One mistake that I made was not to get all the health professionals letters and send them with the form. Hopefully this will be a less stressful experience for you.
  • nowwavingnotdrowning
    nowwavingnotdrowning Member Posts: 2 Listener
    You do need to look for a local benefits or Carers support group. You may well be able to get someone to come out and support you and your husband at the assessment. 
    As for the actual form, you should start gathering supporting evidence (letters, reports etc) from all the professionals involved with your husband as soon as possible. When you do write it remember to write it up as his worst day.
  • dogfather
    dogfather Member Posts: 61 Connected
    You need all the medical evidence you can gather to present to the PIP assessor. Regarding his stroke you need evidence from the specialist who treated him along with phsysio's etc who can detail the difficulties he has in his daily activities. I am trying to get my friend who suffered a stroke 10 years ago to apply for pip. Although he can walk he is very unstable on his feet. I suggested to him he gets the physio to write a report about his condition & the impact on his daily life. Keep fighting the system, I hope you get there in the long term
  • SeanRyan
    SeanRyan Member Posts: 66 Connected
    edited May 2017
    Hi @jannydoo I am so sorry to hear about your situation They make things impossible confusing and they want you to give up. Thats how it works . Be strong Be positive take as much advice as you can get and you too will come to hate the system as much as we all do. I have MS and they now want me to go again 3 times in 5 years I was doing some research earlier for instance to find this gem.        You can request to audio record your consultation by calling our Customer Service Centre, but you will need to provide your own equipment.
    • Inform us beforehand that you wish to record your consultation, which can be done by calling our Customer Service Centre. Please let us know as soon as possible, as we may not be able to accept requests made on the day of your consultation.
    • Your recording equipment must be able to produce two identical copies of the recording at the end of the consultation, either in audio cassette or CD format. You will need to give one copy of the recording to the Health Professional undertaking your consultation, at the end of the consultation. Devices like PCs, laptops, tablets, smartphones or MP3 players are not acceptable recording devices.
    • You will need to sign an agreement that sets out what you are and are not allowed to do with the recording.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.