PIP Tribunal decision - Page 6 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Tribunal decision

Options

Comments

• ceege4
    ceege4 Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    Options
    Well, that's almost a year gone for me already! Mine has been back dated to May last year. 
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sounds like good news?
  • ceege4
    Options
    It will be @debbiedo49 if PIP agree with the judge and it all goes through. 
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • ceege4
    Options
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2018
    Options
    i.e. 10 years from the date of the original award.
  • ceege4
    Options
    The ordeal is finally over!!!
    After almost a year I have received notification today from PIP that they paying me all the back payments from May 2017 and the judge said I am entitled to the standard daily living AND enhanced Mobility.
    PIP is now going to pay me almost double the amount they were paying before. For me it's never been about the money, I just needed my car. If they had just left me with my car, it wouldn't have cost them the huge amount they have had to pay out and that's just my case.
    Now this has cost them letters and postage, the assessment, more letters and postage, the mandatory thingy (sorry I'm so happy, I've forgotten what it's called!) more letters and postage, the cost of the tribunal, more letters and postage and over £2,500 back payments!! How can this be saving the government money??
    After work tomorrow, I'm going to order a new Motability car. I can't wait! 
    My case will be looked at again in 10 years time. I'm happy with that. 
    For everyone going through this ordeal, please get as much medical evidence as you can and please, please, please never give up!! 
    Thanks again to all the help and support from everyone. I couldn't have done it without you!! 
  • Matilda
    Options
    Well done, @ceege4!  Now you can relax for a while.  Yes, DWP cut off their nose to spite their face.  Serve them right.
  • ceege4
    Options
    Thank you @Matilda. It's been a long 3 weeks waiting for the letter to say they are going to pay and not take it to an Upper Tier Tribunal. Hope all is well with you. 
  • ChrisK2
    ChrisK2 Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    Options

I won my tribunal to enhance rate mobility 2 weeks ago today and on my award the judge has written “It is inappropriate to fix a term” so not actually a time limit but just a suggestion that offering anything less than 10 years would be wasting every bodies time.

But then wasting time is what the DWP are good at.

• ceege4
    Options
    Hi @ChrisK2
    Well done on winning your case and getting the enhanced rate mobility! That's excellent news! The judge said the same thing on my award but PIP set the time limit on their letter. My condition is never going to get better so in 10 years time it won't be worth them challenging anything because they will only lose again.
    Hope things can settle down for you now and you can forget about it all. ?
  • ChrisK2
    ChrisK2 Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    Options

Hi @ceege4

Like you I was in the dilemma of having my Motability car sent back and because it was adapted for my disability I feared letting it out of my sight.

Because all this PIP malarkey is about saving money and not about helping the disable to stop any risk of losing the car I had to go begging to my bank manager to lend me the money to buy the car from Motability.

I was 1 week short of ordering a new car when I had the PIP application form arrive so put an end to upgrading my current car to one that has a hoist in the back to lift my scooter into the car.

So now I’m hoping to order that car and sell my current car to get that bank debt out of my hair.

Having been with Motabilty since 2008 I took the £2,000 golden handshake so can’t go back to Mota until July the third or they may ask for it back, or part of.

Good news for we two but feel for those who still need to go through this charade.

Best of luck.

• ceege4
    Options
    Hi @ChrisK2   Would you need a Motability grant for another car? If not, then I'm not sure you have to wait until July.
    This whole fiasco has been a nightmare for so many people and no doubt, there are still a lot more to go through it.
    The government should be made to pay compensation to everyone they have put through this.
    I hope you get your car soon. 
    Take care 
    ?
  • erm
    erm Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    Options
    PIP is  A JOKE! 2 people I know have same problems need help to dress lower AND upper body and shower upper & lower body Both have MD & other congenital issues. I wheeled them into the PIP gestapo session, they where at different stalegs of course, one was an old house with rooms used to extract information, one was a building transformed into the torture chamber with anyone claiming for moto issues sent to the rooms furthest away and even pushing a wheel chair was awkward to get through the door hole it felt more hostile than any prison.
    Despite both having the same issues problems & needing the same help they were awarded different points for care component, BOTH got more than the needed points for high rate care. BUT it shows it is not a consistent way to mark people, it is simply THEIR opinion and what THEY write about you and your problems, and on what the decision makers TAKE is on what the examiner has put down.One of the two people got points for dressing lower body help to get into the shower, the other was given points for washing/dressing upper body.

Both had the points for, unable to prepare and cook a meal, halved, to, needs help to prepare cook a meal SO if someone cannot use a potato peeler or sharp knife to cut up food to eat a meal, or carry a hot plate of food safely how can they, being short stature, climb on steps to get things from cupboards or bend to get stuff out of cupboards when they cannot bend over? and how can they lift hot pans or cut up meat veg etc? DER, STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES! someone needs to tell .gov to get real and stop this torture process.
    I know they both need the same help and I did most of the talking for the people as they were exhausted by the whole farce, SO I know what was said!
    They both got 12 points for mobility so have their independence, still. 
    We know there are people who fraud the system but many people have no quality of life because of their pain problems etc and to be put through this torture is not acceptable, just to so called save money, or weedle out the ones who have got better and still claim.  

• ceege4
    Options
    Hi @erm I think everyone can see what a total farce this has all been. For a lot of people PIP are paying out more than they were being paid before. I don't know if there are figures to show if all this rubbish has saved the govt as much as they said it would save or if, as I suspect, it has cost them a huge amount more!!
    I finally got a new car yesterday but I now have the worry of selling the substitute car which I have no idea how to do. The repercussions of all this are not being looked at at all. We are all still being affected by it months/years after it all started. Losing cars, buying a substitute, sorting out tax, insurance, road recovery, repairs etc etc. Now I've got to sell the car and stop all the other stuff. Just feels like its never ending.
    Hope your friends are ok. Take care
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2018
    Options
    ChrisK2 said:

Having been with Motabilty since 2008 I took the £2,000 golden handshake so can’t go back to Mota until July the third or they may ask for it back, or part of.

If you don't mind me asking but what is this 'golden handshake'?
    I had a Motability car from late 2011 (61 plate Vauxhall Astra) but following the transfer from DLA to PIP in 2013/4 I returned the car to the dealer the following day after receiving the decision notice. I did get a £250 cheque from them some weeks later. I never received any other monies.

Since then I had another 2 Motability cars but they never lasted more than a couple of years as I was re-assessed a further two times and lost my PIP awards.
  • Emmadoe
    Emmadoe Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    @Matilda do you have an email address I could contact you on for some advice? Emma x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,755 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Emmadoe said:
    @Matilda do you have an email address I could contact you on for some advice? Emma x
    Hi,
    Giving personal email addresses out on a public forum isn't the greatest idea and not advised. Please post a question if you want some a advice and someone will be able to help you further.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Matilda
    Options
    @Emmadoe

We are not allowed to give email addresses.  You can send me a personal message on this site.
  • Emmadoe
    Emmadoe Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I’m not sure how to do that @Matilda ? I’m new here. X

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.