blue badge charge — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

blue badge charge

Options
steve_noble1
steve_noble1 Community member Posts: 4 Connected
hi i just renewed my blue badge and i have been chared £20 for it never been charged before found out that thay now charge for it different price in england they charge a mazamum of £10 in scotland its £20 and in wales there is no charge hpw can this be right

Comments

• Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    Options
    Yes they do charge now.  I don't know when it started as my little girl only got her first one in 2015 and I paid then.  

To be fair, it probably costs quite a bit to employ someone at the council to sort the applications out, and to produce the badge with all its security features.  The badges last for 3 years so it's pretty good value considering how much we save on parking  :)

A lot of council car parks in Wales charge for parking for blue badge holders (particularly Denbighshire) but you get the badge for free if you live there.  I think I prefer spending a few quid on getting the badge personally. 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Councils in England have been charging for Blue Badges for years.  Once it was £3, then £10 - now £20, it seems.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @steve_noble1 under devolved powers the four regions, NI, Wales, Scotland and England will have very different rules on different things. When looking up information on a wide range of issues you often see 'different rules apply in Scotland'.

Where I have gone on to look at the differences in Scotland they are generally more favourable than in England and Wales. I am sure there must be other examples but this is the first time I have seen where the Scottish people lose out so much.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Options
    Not only would there be administration costs for a council but can you imagine how many people would "try it on?"
  • steve_noble1
    steve_noble1 Community member Posts: 4 Connected
    Options
    i not complaining just didnt know they charged now

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.