Hi, my name is oldmum! — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Hi, my name is oldmum!

oldmum Member Posts: 1 Listener
My son  suffered a shattered pelvis 6 weeks ago. His surgeon told us he will never be able to go back to his job as a chef, and the restaurant he worked at and I owned has had to close. We are being told that he cannot claim any disability benefits until 3 months is up and that includes carers allowance, I am 70 but was working as a fosterparnt and earning £400 a week, I can no longer do that. Can we really get no help until after 3 months. 


  • MikeBroderick
    MikeBroderick Member Posts: 234 Pioneering
    edited June 2017
    Hi @oldmum. Welcome to the Scope Online Community and thanks for posting. I am sorry to hear of the difficulties you are going through. Given the urgent nature of the situation, I am going to recommend that you contact the Scope Helpline at 0808 800 3333 or by email at [email protected] to see if they can provide you with further advice. You may also wish to contact your local Citizen's Advice Bureau On the bottom right of the homepage you can put in your postcode to find your nearest CAB office. There are also some other resources here that might be helpful. Benefits Overview: In our Online Community you'll also find links to discussions around Employment, Benefits, and ESA, as well as an Ask a Benefits Advisor Section. Lastly you'll find great discussions within the Community itself around a variety of topics related to disabilities. I hope that you found this helpful, and that you'll come back into the Community again. -Mike
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hello oldmum

    ESA and/or Universal Credit is payable to people who are unable to work.  Which benefit a person can claim will depend on where they live and if they have paid sufficient national insurance contributions. There is not a waiting period of 3 months for ESA or Universal Credit.   A claim can be made for ESA on Telephone: 0800 055 6688 or Universal Credit is an on-line claim.  Please post again if your son needs further help on this issue. 

    There is a waiting time of 3 months for Personal Independence payments, that is  a person must have had some disability for at least 3 months before they qualify for PIP. They must then also show that they will have a disability for at least a further 9 months.  This should not however stop a PIP claim being made, it merely means that your son may have to wait a while for payment to begin to meet the qualifying waiting period of 3 months.  The telephone claim line is 0800 917 2222.

    You also mentioned that you are struggling financially, and have to give up being a  foster parent.  Have you contacted Pension Credit? This is a benefit which tops up a pensioners low or nil income.  The Pension Credit claim line is 0800 99 1234.  

    If you live in rented accommodation you could claim Housing Benefit and help with Council Tax via Council tax Reduction.  these ca be claimed through your local council.

    Maria Solomon

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • steve51
    steve51 Member Posts: 7,154 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @oldmum. It's great to have you onboard I do hope that we can help you ??? Please please take in the above info. If you find that you need further help please let us know ???


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.