My authority wants a 42 year old man in private rented to strip wash downstairs use a commode .He i — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

My authority wants a 42 year old man in private rented to strip wash downstairs use a commode .He i

cunningham94 Member Posts: 2 Listener
He is a single parent of a 14 year old daughter. Isn't this an infringement of his personal dignity and shouldnt they be rehousing them/


  • cunningham94
    cunningham94 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Please help,this is embarrassing not only for him but also his daughter
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cunningham94 welcome to the community, this sounds really tough.

    Does this person get any outside support? @Debbie_Scope do you have any advice about this?

    We have lots of information about housing and social care here, I hope this helps.
    Senior online community officer
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Member Posts: 944 Pioneering
    Hi @cunningham94,

    Welcome to the community.

    Housing is a very complex area. 

    Has your son had an Occupational Therapist's assessment in his home? The idea being that there could be aids or adaptations to help him remain in his own home. If there are no aids or adaptations that can be provided then the local authority can look at rehousing him. Even then it can take a long time to go through the process.

    If you'd like to tell me more about your son and his disability I would be more than happy to discuss the options further. It's not right that anyone should have to strip wash and use a commode because they cannot access their bathroom, however in the current climate and with such a high demand on housing, it's becoming all too common. If there are other ways in which the local authority can meet your son's needs without rehousing, they will be explored too.

    Has your son had a care needs assessment to get some support in place?
    Is he getting the right financial support? i.e is he claiming disability benefits?

    It's a good idea to look at your local council's housing allocations policy. Housing allocations policies vary from one local authority to another so it's best to check that you meet their criteria. If you have difficulty finding it, let me know which council your son comes under and I will look it up for you.

    I hope that you find the discussions within this category helpful, there's lot of information contained within the discussions and it all may help you build a picture of what to expect and help you make a plan moving forward.

    All the best 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.