Guest Q&A - the Independent Support Service
This week we have Amelia and Charlotte from the Independent Support Service answering your questions about Education, Health and Care Plans.
The Independent Support Service provides free advice and support for parents of children and young people with Special Educational Needs, through the statutory assessment and Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) processes.
Our Independent Supporters will offer a range of time-limited support such as liaison across different agencies and advice on personal budgets. The level and nature of that support will be tailored to your particular needs.
We have both worked for the Independent Support Service since October 2014 following the reforms to the Children and Families Act. We support parents and young people with Education, Health and Care Plans, providing information about the process, assisting with paperwork, reviewing draft plans when they are issued and signposting to other support agencies.
Our role is to enable parents and young people to ensure that their views are taken into account and that the EHCP is a document which supports children and young people to achieve their aspirations.
We can help with questions around what to expect during the process, who may be involved, how parents and young people contribute to the EHCP and how to find tools to support person centred planning.
As each Local Authority has different paperwork and processes, we can only comment on what is in the SEND Code of Practice.
Do you have a question for the Independent Support Service team? Let them know by commenting below.
- 53K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 149 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 759 Work and employment
- 577 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 277 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 264 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.2K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.4K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 676 Chronic pain and pain management
- 700 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 751 Autism and neurodiversity
- 928 Mental health and wellbeing
- 298 Sensory impairments