PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


abbatony4950 Member Posts: 10 Listener
Hello,I would just like to tell you I have been through the proses of PIP,I have appealed and been to a tribunal and had my appeal accepted,This morning I have had a letter saying that the DWP are going to appeal against the decision and it could take about 7 months to a year,What more do you have to do to get this money.


  • Matilda
    Matilda Member Posts: 2,610 Disability Gamechanger

    Sorry to hear this.  I suggest that you re-post in 'Ask a benefits advisor' category for expert advice.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @abbatony4950 and I am sorry to hear your struggle - I have moved your post for you to the Ask a benefits advisor category.
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hello @abbatony4950

    I'm sorry to hear that you've not simply been paid since the appeal hearing.

    Unfortunately, there may be little you can do to bring about payment until the case has been heard in the Upper Tribunal. This is because, like claimants, the DWP has the right to appeal First-tier tribunal decisions where there are grounds. However, it can only suspend payment when it has followed the correct procedure. This is to write to you informing you that it intends to appeal and that it does so within time, usually one month of the decision or the date the statement of reasons was issued. If you think this procedure may not have been followed correctly you should contact a local advice service for further help.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.