PIP and ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


binman02 Member Posts: 2 Listener
hi i have just been told i can no longer get pip will this affect my esa plz has i have nothing to live on i am awaiting the letter that apprently was sent on the6th but has yet not recived it i will be appealing plz can anyone help ty 


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @binman02 welcome to the community, I am sorry to hear about your stressful time.  You can call the Scope helpline on 08088003333 to speak to an advisor and get some support.
    Senior online community officer
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @binman02,

    How are you? Were you able to speak to Scope's helpline about your ESA and PIP?

    In terms of appeals, there's lots of useful information about mandatory reconsiderations and tribunals on our website. I hope this is useful.

    I've also moved this post to our Ask a Benefits Advisor category, where @BenefitsTrainingCo may be able to advise further.
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    If you receive the severe disability premium, this will stop. If you were on higher rate care DLA and are in the work related group, your enhanced disability premium will stop too.

    You'll have to inform ESA that your DLA has now stopped. As I learnt, they don't talk to each other.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering
    Hi @binman02
    I hope you have managed to speak to somebody on the SCOPE helpline about your situation.
    I'll give you a few bullet points about what I think you should do to try and help you through the process of challenging the PIP decision.
           - phone up the DWP PIP line (0345 850 3322) and check that the decision date was the 6/6/2017 and ask for another decision letter to be sent in the post as you have not received the first - unless you have by now!)
           - phone up ESA (0345 608 8545) and inform them that your PIP has stopped and that you will be challenging the decision.
           - contact a local advice agency who can assist you with checking whether there will be any changes to your ESA payments now that your PIP has stopped. I don't know if you get any Housing benefit or Council Tax Support but you may also want the local advice agency to check that there wont be any changes with these either.
          - Hopefully the local advice agency will be able to help you with challenging the PIP decision. If the decision date was the 6th June then you have until the 6th July to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration. 
         - You may also want to contact your bank  / building society if you have any direct debits etc that you might now not be able to make because of the drop in income. Again the local advice agency should be able to help you with this contact should you need this. 
    It is an uneasy time and I appreciate how stressful it can be. Fingers crossed your PIP is reinstated and there isn't too much effect to your other benefits whilst waiting for this to happen.
    Please do contact the SCOPE helpline if you haven't yet and they may be able to point you in the direction of a local advice agency that can help.
    Please post a reply back if we can be of any more assistance.


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.