DLA TO PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


DanielWearne Member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi, I am a 36 year old man and I have right hemiplegia. I have no real functional  use of my right hand and arm, although I am fully ambulant. I currently receive low rate DLA care component (approx £22 a week) which I have received on an indefinite award since I was around 17. I recognise that at some point I am going to be asked to claim PIP, and my main question is, when? I see differing dates for when all DLA recipients will have been changed over to PIP, and I can't find an accurate timeline. Therefore I jump every time I check the mail. Any info regarding dates would be hugely gratefully received.
Also, I am not sure if I will qualify for PIP - I only get lower rate care - what are the success rates for people with hemiplegia? I can argue that I deserve 8+ points for daily living, but my evidence is lacking. I have no dealings with medical professionals, aside from when I broke my hip in 2009 falling on ice whilst walking the dog. I work - not amazingly paid - and receive tax credits. Will these be affected if I Do not get PIP?Obviously if I get PIP I will be substantially better off (to the tune of an extra £32.65 a week) so should I bite the bullet and apply now? My condition has worsened since my mid twenties - my limp is more pronounced since I broke my hip, and my stamina is less. Sometimes I struggle to walk, though I don't use any aids. Should I try and evidence this?
Sorry for the many questions. I would just love to know where I stand.
Thank you.


  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Member Posts: 603 Pioneering
    No one can say when you'd be transferred to PIP. I assume your award is indefinite?

    The criteria for PIP is completely different. Have you had a look through to see where you'd probably score points? 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hello Daniel. As Nystagmite says, there is no accurate way of knowing when you will be contacted regarding being assessed under the PIP rules. As a recipient of the lower rate care component you are right to be concerned that accessing PIP might be tricky, as there is obviously no equivalent to the low rate care component within PIP. You are definitely right to start thinking about where your PIP points might come from, and you are correct in thinking that losing PIP might affect your working tax credit. So - time to research your access to PIP! There are some excellent internet resources which give you some in depth information. Firstly, have a look at the DWP's own 'PIP toolkit'. It has a huge range of information about the scoring system, and also has information on the resources used by the DWP and the assessment providers to look up specific health conditions. You can also find excellent guidance on the Disability Rights UK website, and on www.benefitsandwork.co.uk. I would think carefully too about how you might acquire evidence, especially if you are considering making a pre-emptive PIP claim. Would it be possible for you to go and see your doctor and explain what's happening, how you are, and that you may need to call on your doctor for some supporting evidence? You should carry out your own walking test, assess for yourself how far you can walk, when pain or severe discomfort sets in, your walking speed etc and relay that to your doctor so that something concrete is in your medical records.  I would definitely do that in advance of any PIP assessment so that your doctor is aware of what's happening, rather than just leaving it to the PIP assessors to contact your doctor. I hope this helps and that your future PIP claim is successful!
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.