Nearing 65. Worried about PIP Claim and Attendance Allowance - Need Prayers — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Nearing 65. Worried about PIP Claim and Attendance Allowance - Need Prayers

oldbessie
oldbessie Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited June 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Well, here we go. After a lifetime of hard work, I was ill health retired a few years ago. I was eventually awarded D.L.A indefinitely. As my conditions have changed, I notified the D.W.P, and was advised to put in a claim for P.I.P, rather than wait for my invitation to do so. I was going to do this anyway, as I had heard on the grapevine that as I was coming up to 65, people like me would not be eligible to claim for P.I.P, and would have to apply for attendance allowance instead.I now see from the Governments own website that this is true. If you are 65 or over when claiming, regardless of wether you are already on D.L.A, your claim for P.I.P was to be treated as a new claim, (rather that a transfer)  and it will automatically transfer to a claim for attendance allowance----making sure that many people will automatically lose out.
I am hoping because my claim is in 3 months prior to my 65th birthday, I will be OK. So, prayers please that my claim goes OK. I am worried sick of course, because this makes up a vital part of my income.
Even worse of course, I had had to wait a couple of extra years to get my retirement pension. Last year, when they  changed the pension rate, my basic pension was reduced from 149 pounds to 122! And they only pay my earnings related pre 1997!

Comments

• MikeBroderick
    MikeBroderick Community member Posts: 235 Pioneering
    Hi @oldbessie:

Welcome to the Community. I'm sorry to hear about the stress you're going through (and I will say a prayer for you).

We have a lot of information here about Benefits and PIP that I will be happy to direct you to, but just so I understand, has your PIP claim already gone in?
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    edited June 2017
    @oldbessie I was 66 and on DLA when I rang DWP to say my condition had got worse. I was told to apply for PIP and now have payment in place with no mention of it transferring to Attendance Allowance. I understand AA is only for people who become disabled for the first time when aged 65 or over. I pretty sure you are worrying unnecessarily.     
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2017
    @oldbessie

@wildlife is right.  If you are on DLA before age 65 you stay on DLA after age 65 until DWP invite you to apply for PIP.  I was on DLA indefinitely before I reached age 65 and kept my DLA after my 65th birthday until last August, aged 68, DWP told me it was my turn to apply for PIP.

If you want further reassurance, I recommend that you re-post in Ask a benefits advisor category for expert advice.  I'd also suggest that you ask in the same category whether your pension reduction was correct.

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @oldbessie.
    Welcome to our community I hope that we can offer you both support and help.
    I'm very sorry to hear about your problems
    Please visit our Benefits Advisory section to see if it is correct about your DLA /PIP.
    The good people above have given you some good info.
    But please let me know if there is anything else that you require ????

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.