DWP decision fast-tracked for urgent decision - can this be done? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DWP decision fast-tracked for urgent decision - can this be done?

Options
brenda213
brenda213 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
My husband had,a ftf last week he has,been diagnosed with stomach cancer the assessor told us she would fast track her report to DWP for a urgent decision based on her findings can she do this 

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @brenda213,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you on board.

I've had a quick look on Citizens Advice, and DWP can fast-track an application if the applicant has a terminal illness. Is this the case?

I have also moved your post to our Ask a Benefits Advisor category, where @BenefitsTrainingCo may be able to offer some more detailed advice.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, then please do get in touch.
    Liam
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options

Hi @brenda213

@LiamO_Dell is right in saying that the DWP will fast-track cases where there is terminal illness (usually a form DS1500 would have to be provided for them to do this).

But also, contrary to popular belief, the DWP decision-making department is staffed by humans, who are able to prioritise their work how they see fit. It is uncommon for them to take pity on claimants where there is no terminal illness, and it may be the case that the medical assessor's requests for the matter to be expedited fall on deaf ears, but certainly it is possible.

From the perspective of working in benefits law for a while, I can think of many occasions where I have persuaded decision makers to look at things more quickly, so presumably medical assessors could do this if they so wished...

I hope they do for you!

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.