ESA question — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

ESA question

pandorabakes Member Posts: 1 Listener
I receive ESA as I have been off work for 1 year, my contract has now been terminated. Do I need to contact the benefits department about this? I am still not fit to work. I am based in Scotland.


  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering

    You don't really need to tell the DWP about this. You get ESA because you are not working & not because you are employed - as you know, you've been getting it all this time despite being employed!

    I don't know if you have had your assessment yet (work capability assessment). If not, you need to carry on providing medical certificates from your GP. If you've had the assessment, then this change really makes no difference. There's no harm in telling the DWP if you want to, as it helps to show that you do have limited capability for work. But you don't have to.

    Finally, if you wish, you might want to get employment advice, just to see if the termination was lawful and check whether your employer should have attempted to make adjustments which would have enabled you to return.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.