Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

ESA question

pandorabakespandorabakes Member Posts: 1 Listener
I receive ESA as I have been off work for 1 year, my contract has now been terminated. Do I need to contact the benefits department about this? I am still not fit to work. I am based in Scotland.


  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering

    You don't really need to tell the DWP about this. You get ESA because you are not working & not because you are employed - as you know, you've been getting it all this time despite being employed!

    I don't know if you have had your assessment yet (work capability assessment). If not, you need to carry on providing medical certificates from your GP. If you've had the assessment, then this change really makes no difference. There's no harm in telling the DWP if you want to, as it helps to show that you do have limited capability for work. But you don't have to.

    Finally, if you wish, you might want to get employment advice, just to see if the termination was lawful and check whether your employer should have attempted to make adjustments which would have enabled you to return.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.