If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Can I claim PIP to help me pay for fibro treatment therapy?

Dee5657Dee5657 Member Posts: 3 Listener
edited July 2017 in PIP, DLA and AA
I have Fibromyalgia, I was diagnosed with it 4 years ago when I saw a radiologist at the hospital.  I manage my pain with no meds but get regular massage therapy to help ease it  and also I use an Actipatch to relieve the pain. I have been told by a friend that I could claim PIP to help me pay for  the treatment therapy as the Fibro affects my day to day life a lot , Does anyone know if this is true as I have been in touch with the DA office and they say I will lose my other amount that I get for  a problem I have had with my back for many years . I am getting low rate personal at the moment . Can anyone advise me please as I was put off claiming because I can not afford to lose the money I get as I cannot work with my condition .  my husband claims pension for us both so we live on that now . Any advice would be gratefully received . Dee x


  • gnmeadsgnmeads Member Posts: 187 Pioneering
    Hi Dee5657 welcome to the scope community. Sorry to hear about your problems. What benefits are you currently receiving? If it's DLA you have to wait for the DWP to contact you about changing to P I P

  • Liam_AlumniLiam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,113 Pioneering
    edited July 2017
    Hi @Dee5657,

    Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you on board.

    I've moved this post to our Ask a Benefits Advisor category, where @BenefitsTrainingCo may be able to advise.
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi Dee5657

    If you are currently getting Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and you apply for PIP then your DLA will stop. You may get more through PIP than you currently get through DLA, you may get the same or you may get less.

    And so there is a considerable risk if you claim PIP and i would usually advise against it without further advice from a specialist adviser.

    Also, you should know that the government is in the process of writing to those of working age who are still getting DLA. All remaining claimants are expected to get this letter by the end of this year. The letter will explain that PIP is replacing DLA and at that point it will be advisable to claim PIP. Perhaps wait until then.

    I hope this helps
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • Dee5657Dee5657 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    thank you all for the advice much appreciated . Dee x
Sign in or join us to comment.