How can I reduce my disabled daughters weight — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How can I reduce my disabled daughters weight

julescj
julescj Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I am the parent of Abigail, my ever growing 14 year old daughter. Abby contracted pneumococcal meningitis, at three and a half months old. She was very poorly at the time, and after recovering from the meningitis, she was left with brain damage, causing hydrocephalus, developmental delay, and learning and behavior difficulties. Abby attends a special needs school, and thankfully is a very happy young lady. I have a number of questions I would like to ask, and I hope someone maybe able to offer some advice. My first question is about any diet ideas anyone may have, to help Abby lose weight. I have cut out crisps and snacks, reduced her meal sizes, and she gets sufficient exercise. Her weight keeps going up and down, despite how well we are doing with her food intake. I have read online, that some people with a head injury, can have damaged the perennial gland in the brain. This gland sends signals to other parts, to begin the metabolism feature, to start breaking down the food. I have suggested this to the neurologist she sees, but he seems reluctant to try and check if hers is damaged. I have know idea how I would go about trying to do this myself, or whether it is just how she is built. If anyone has any knowledge or understanding of the complexities of a brain injury, I would love to hear from you please, Thanks.

Read more at https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/34985/hi-my-name-is-julescj-and-i-need-some-dietary-ideas-to-use-with-my-daughter#eUH6ORdPkFfP2zWE.99

Comments

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    The vast majority of people can control their weight simply by food intake levels but there are some who cannot, usually down to metabolic rate differences. Everything we see on TV and in the news encourages people to eat more, drink more and indulge more. Before mum died I used to compare our meal sizes and hers was always smaller than mine even when I was loosing weight. Still she complained about weight though. I think people are brainwashed. Saying you have cut down meal sizes isn't definitive. You need to compare to standard products. Frozen meals for old people and standard sized meals for adults are a good guide. Compare your feeding habits to those.

I'm lucky enough to have a high metabolic rate but I used to out eat even that and reached 23.5 stone (329 lbs or 147 Kg) but 7 years ago I had so many food preparation and teeth problems that I began slowly losing weight because I simply couldn't eat much any more. I now weigh 13.5 stone (189 lbs or 84 Kg). Even now though it can go up and down by a stone depending on eating habits.

I can't help with the medical stuff as I don't know anyone who needed it, sry.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    edited July 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Alisonm
    Alisonm Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    You do not say wether Abby has began her periods, i started mine at the age of 10 years old, in 4 years i had lobbed on the weight as i was always quite hungry, they my periods went out of sync and the weight dropped off me, since then i have stayed about the same weight even after having 3 children, i think it all depends on hormones for young girls, unless there is an underlying reason for overeating or undereating, mostly to do with media, or a child just feeling very hungry all the time.  I am not a good eater, even though i made sure that all our children were, i can go all day without eating any food, then have my tea, not eat all of it, yet go on later to have two pieces of toast and a whole 500mg tub of greek yoghurt!!! i am nearly 55 years old and should know a lot better, but i am not over weight, so i don't really see it as a problem, more the fact that i like to eat later in the day.
    Alisonm
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Alisonm, undereating amongst the disabled is quite common. I often go a day here and there without eating at all and, on one occasion ate nothing at all for 4 days. We don't exercise as much as healthy people so we don't require the same intake. Eating can be just another habit. If we have care this can also be a cause of overeating as they usually insist or badger until we do. Whilst they have good experience in looking after people, they are not always aware of the effect of some conditions on the body and therefore food intake.

What DannyMoore says about side effects from medication is also very true. I have had meds that almost completely stopped me from defecating, leading to a serious weight gain.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.