Hi, need advice pls — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Hi, need advice pls

jennie47 Member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi can anyone give advice pls, my ESA and housing benefit has just been stopped, they say I am fit for work. 
I have depression, PTS and small fibre peripheral neuropathy and RLS. Each day is different, some days I am not to bad some days I can't walk and in pain .... Can't think of a job that will employ me as on daily basis don't know how I will be, also medication makes me so tired. Any suggestions xx


  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,105 Pioneering
    Hi @jennie47,

    Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you here.

    With regards to your ESA claim, have you asked for a mandatory reconsideration (MR)? We have lots of information about appealing a DWP benefits decision on our website, including the following video about MRs:

    You can also find some more information about challenging an ESA decision on the Citizens Advice website.

    I've also moved this post into our Ask a Benefits Advisor category, so @BenefitsTrainingCo can offer further help and support on the housing benefit aspect of your post, as well as the ESA claim.

    I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, then please do get in touch.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering

    Hi @jennie47

    Looking first at the ESA, if you disagree with the decision then the first step is to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration, you will then get another decision (saying Mandatory Reconsideration decision) at the top, and you can then appeal on form SSCS1.

    There are loads of useful sites with info on appealing. A good one is Citizens Advice https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/while-youre-getting-esa/challenging-an-esa-decision/

    It is also helpful to see if there is a local agency, CAB, Welfare Rights, Money Advice, Tenancy Support, who can help with the appeal - but don't worry if there isn't, it's a fairly straightforward process.

    The DWP won't pay ESA during the Mandatory Recon phase, but once the appeal form is logged they can pay you basic rate until the appeal is heard. You can claim JSA for the Man Recon bit if you feel up to it.

    Looking at the HB, this can still be paid whether or not you're getting ESA or any other benefit, provided they have enough information about your household income. This is normally called a 'nil income claim'. Get in touch with the council and ask what they need from you to process this in the meantime.

    Hope this helps. Kind regards,


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.