What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Tax exemption

hi, sorry to trouble but was wondering if you could help me, I've received a letter saying that I owe money for my prescription, I have been on ESA for a number of years now, approx 10, and have always had a tax exemption card.
could you please advise me what I need to do please 
kind regards
sally2106 :-)


  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    Are you on ESA(CB) or ESA(IR )?
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering

    Hi @sally2106

    If you are on income-based ESA, or if you or your partner (if you have one) are on another income-based benefit (Income Support/ income-based JSA/ Universal Credit) then this appears to be an error.

    If you or your partner are on income based benefit, just call the number on the letter and explain this. Send them evidence if required.

    If you are on contributions based, and neither you nor your partner (if you have one) are getting income-based benefit then it may be correct, Unless you have an HC2 certificate, which is not a Tax exemption, but an exemption from prescription charges.

    If this is the case, maybe try speaking to a local Money Advice service, Citizens Advice, or check the Money Advice Service website https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/categories/debt-and-borrowing

    Hope this helps,

    Kind regards,


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.