Tax exemption — Scope | Disability forum

Tax exemption

hi, sorry to trouble but was wondering if you could help me, I've received a letter saying that I owe money for my prescription, I have been on ESA for a number of years now, approx 10, and have always had a tax exemption card.
could you please advise me what I need to do please 
kind regards
sally2106 :-)


  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,212 Disability Gamechanger
    Are you on ESA(CB) or ESA(IR )?
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering

    Hi @sally2106

    If you are on income-based ESA, or if you or your partner (if you have one) are on another income-based benefit (Income Support/ income-based JSA/ Universal Credit) then this appears to be an error.

    If you or your partner are on income based benefit, just call the number on the letter and explain this. Send them evidence if required.

    If you are on contributions based, and neither you nor your partner (if you have one) are getting income-based benefit then it may be correct, Unless you have an HC2 certificate, which is not a Tax exemption, but an exemption from prescription charges.

    If this is the case, maybe try speaking to a local Money Advice service, Citizens Advice, or check the Money Advice Service website

    Hope this helps,

    Kind regards,


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.