Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Benefits stopped - what steps can I take to reinstate my support?

jeanaustinjeanaustin Member Posts: 1 Listener
I have a severe PTSD which prevents me from entering social settings due to social phobia. I have had a course of psychotherapy which has enabled me to manage some aspects of my illness. I lose consciousness often and with that memory loss. This aspect is worsening and I write lists of things to do every day in order to manage. I can forget that the list exists as when a trigger has occurred i freeze and cant generate the thoughts to remember that I have a list. Recently my benefits were stopped following assessment by the DSS. This is obviously a catastrophic event for me and as I live alone, I am struggling to cope with the impact of being without the means to live. I live in a remote area and have a knee injury so cant even walk to the bus stop over a mile away. Can you please tell me what steps i can take to reinstate my support?


  • gnmeadsgnmeads Member Posts: 187 Pioneering
    Hi jeanaustin welcome to the Scope community and sorry to hear about all your problems. 
    What is the reason for stopping your benefits? If it's has anything to do with your condition then I think you should contact them and explain your situation. If it's gone beyond that maybe you should appeal.
    Please feel free to get back to me if you have any more questions 
  • Liam_AlumniLiam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,113 Pioneering
    Hi @jeanaustin,

    Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you on board.

    I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you've been having with your benefits. Have you considered asking for a Mandatory Reconsideration? We have lots of information about appealing a benefits decision on our website, which you might find useful.

    I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, then please do get in touch!
Sign in or join us to comment.