dropped kerb — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

dropped kerb

taf58008 Member Posts: 1 Listener
hi i dont know if anyone can help but i am trying to get a dropped kerb installed so i can get a ramp fitted for my wheelchair,
my current situation is i am housebound as my mobility is limited without use of my wheelchair, social services have agreed to fit a ramp but only after the dropped kerb is done,
the council insist that it is not their responsibility and the housing association i am with say the same,
meanwhile i still cant leave my flat apart from hospital appointments when the ambulance crews assist with my wheelchair with major manhandling


  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    It's your County Council's responsibility @taf58008 as it's to do with the public roads.

    There is a help tool on the gov.uk website.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    @Debbie_Scope any ideas?
    Senior online community officer
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Member Posts: 944 Pioneering
    Hi @taf58008,

    As @Markmywords has said above. Use the help tool to find out who is responsible for the road. If the tool isn't able to clarify this you might then need to do a land registry search to find out who owns the land.

    Your local authority may have some dropped kerb guidance and if so, it should be on their website. If you need help looking it up just let me know which Council you come under and I'll look to see if they have some guidance.

    I can't really advise further until I know more about the situation but I think it's definitely going to be helpful to find out who owns the road and land.

    We're here to help so keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

    Best wishes


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.