Hi, my name is gjt1971! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is gjt1971!

Options
gjt1971
gjt1971 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello I'm Gary I have a question, I currently receive ESA, DLA, and severe disablement premium.
i private rent 1 bed flat claiming housing benefit.
what I want t do is private rent a 2 bedroom flat from family as an official landlord but was wandering how this effects my benefits etc.

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @gjt1971

Welcome aboard our online community I do hope that we can help you ???

We have got plenty of info on Benefits on our home page.

There is also a Benefit Calculator where you can check what Benefits are available for you.

We also have a Benefit Advisor which is well worth looking into.

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @gjt1971 and welcome to the community.

If you are under 35 the following applies.

Housing benefit if you have a disability

You can claim the 1-bed rate of local housing allowance (LHA) if you are in self-contained accommodation and get any of the following benefits:

• daily living component of personal independence payment (PIP)
    • attendance allowance
    • middle or high rate care component of disability living allowance (DLA)
    • armed forces independence payment

You can claim the 2-bed rate of local housing allowance (LHA) if you need overnight care and somebody regularly stays over to care for you and is provided with a bedroom when they stay.

If you do not requires someone to regularly stay overnight you will need to make up the difference between a one bedroom flat and a two bedroom flat. You can find the difference by going to https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/search.aspx

You will need to put the postcode, or local authority, in and then do two searches, for 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom. This will give you the difference. You may get extra help with Discretionary Housing Payments from the local authority, but this is not guaranteed and intended as a short term solution.

I've just seen that you have posted to our benefits advisers who will be able to give you more information

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.