Hi, my name is gjt1971! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is gjt1971!

Options
gjt1971
gjt1971 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello I'm Gary I have a question, I currently receive ESA, DLA, and severe disablement premium.
i private rent 1 bed flat claiming housing benefit.
what I want t do is private rent a 2 bedroom flat from family as an official landlord but was wandering how this effects my benefits etc.

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @gjt1971

Welcome aboard our online community I do hope that we can help you ???

We have got plenty of info on Benefits on our home page.

There is also a Benefit Calculator where you can check what Benefits are available for you.

We also have a Benefit Advisor which is well worth looking into.

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @gjt1971 and welcome to the community.

If you are under 35 the following applies.

Housing benefit if you have a disability

You can claim the 1-bed rate of local housing allowance (LHA) if you are in self-contained accommodation and get any of the following benefits:

• daily living component of personal independence payment (PIP)
    • attendance allowance
    • middle or high rate care component of disability living allowance (DLA)
    • armed forces independence payment

You can claim the 2-bed rate of local housing allowance (LHA) if you need overnight care and somebody regularly stays over to care for you and is provided with a bedroom when they stay.

If you do not requires someone to regularly stay overnight you will need to make up the difference between a one bedroom flat and a two bedroom flat. You can find the difference by going to https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/search.aspx

You will need to put the postcode, or local authority, in and then do two searches, for 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom. This will give you the difference. You may get extra help with Discretionary Housing Payments from the local authority, but this is not guaranteed and intended as a short term solution.

I've just seen that you have posted to our benefits advisers who will be able to give you more information

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness