Housing and accommodation help? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Housing and accommodation help?

kate123 Member Posts: 2 Listener
I currently have 4 children 3 boys 1 girl my eldest boy is not biologically mine I have a guardianship order he is reg disabled the area I am currently living in I have no support just my husband other than that no one to help me my eldest is needing his wheelchair more and more and it's becoming impossible to leave the house as I can't push a buggy and a wheelchair I have applied to Thurrock council for housing but have been told the wait for a 4 bed adapted property is a very long time I have all my family there and would have a huge support network my current accommodation is temp and I'm at my wits end with what I can do any help would be much appreciated thank you 


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kate123  welcome to the community, you sound like you really have your hands full!

    @Debbie_Scope can you help at all?
    Senior online community officer
  • Dasiydo
    Dasiydo Member Posts: 93 Courageous
     I feel sorry for you but do hope get sort soon and I wish you luck
  • steve51
    steve51 Member Posts: 7,154 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kate123.

     A very big welcome to you I do hope that we can help you !!!!

    Wow my heart goes out to you I do hope that you will get things sorted out asap.

     Please please let us know if you need any more support ????
  • kate123
    kate123 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi was just hoping someone might have a idea or information on what I could do next or were I could go for help thank you for all your comments 
  • Barrylad1957
    Barrylad1957 Member Posts: 100 Courageous
    @kate123, Hi Kate, I found out at the beginning of 2016 that its very difficult to get councils to appreciate a health-related housing need. In desperation, eventually I contacted my MP, and suddenly, things started to progress a little more smoothly. I know it depends on your MP - ours is a local girl and she's very hands-on and pro active (an awful lot of them are not) and going to her ended up being one of the few clever ideas Ive had in my 60 years, as it was how I discovered that my housing association actually had a welfare group specifically for people with needs - a fact that they don't seem keen to advertise in any of their online or paper literature. My needs were'nt as dire as your own, as I only needed to house myself, but it could be worth a shot. Good luck

  • steve51
    steve51 Member Posts: 7,154 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2017
    Hi @kate123

    Yes @Barrylad1957 is right going to your MP would be a very good idea.

    Have you also contacted your local "CAB"

    Please keep us up to speed with things.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Member Posts: 944 Pioneering
    Hello @kate123,

    Welcome to the community :)

    Some good advice in the above posts. Getting in touch with your local MP can be very helpful. The reality though is that there just isn't enough housing and larger properties are quite rare. There could be a long waiting time for a large property to become available.

    Which Local Authority are you currently living under? Are you registered with a choice based lettings scheme and if so, what band are you in? I'm happy to look into this a bit more for you and see what options there are.

    What kind of temporary accommodation are you living in at the moment?

    Do you have a social worker?

    Sorry for all of the questions. If you don't want to share this information here send me an email to [email protected]

    Hope to hear from you soon.

    Best wishes


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.