Co habiting — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Co habiting

jane436 Member Posts: 3 Listener
Would like my boyfriend of 10 months to move in. I'm a carer of my son who is on the spectrum. My boyfriend is currently on ESA due to high blood pressure. How will my benefits be affected?


  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hello jane436

    Once partners live together then they have to claim benefits as  a couple.  

    This means you will have to notify all benefit agencies e.g. Child Benefit, Child Tax Credit, Housing Benefit, Income Support, JSA, Universal Credit, ESA that your boyfriend is living with you.  

    You have not mentioned if you receive benefits for yourself, and it maybe that your benefit stops and you claim ESA as a couple or your boyfriend stops claiming ESA and joins your benefit claim.  In addition, any Housing Benefit entitlement maybe suspended whilst your benefit claims are being resolved. 

    You also mentioned that your son is on the spectrum. Does he receive Disability Living Allowance (DLA)? If he does, DLA will not be effected if your boyfriend moves in. 

    The below link, give links to enttledto and Turn2us that can help check benefit entitlement.

    You could also go to a local advice centre if you need face to face advice and help.

    Kind regards


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.