PIP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP

Hayward
Hayward Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hello My name is Louis,

After a car accident I was awarded PIP but lost it two days after a heart attack and two heart operations, being diagnosed with heat disease and atrial fibrillation which still a problem even though I am on a large course of treatment. Even though I have a letter from my doctor stating that I am unfit for work, the DWP will not except it until my tribunal is due in 23 weeks time.

In the meantime I am unable to go to appointments for my heart condition or any other therapy as I do not have the funds to do so. Is there anything I can do to make the DWP listen and except the word of a doctor or do they think that the doctor is lying, if thats the case I will have to contact my doctor and tell them their expertise and many years of study as a practitioner is worthless?

Louis

Comments

• wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @Hayward Sorry to hear you're having such a tough time. As you're waiting for appeal I assume you've requested a  Mandatory Reconsideration and it was turned down. Even though you're waiting to go to Appeal you can still try and get an award by ringing DWP and asking for a call back from a Decision Maker. That would give you a chance to find out why they won't accept your Doctor's evidence. I suspect they don't know about or are ignoring your heart trouble. If you don't feel able to do this is there anyone helping you? You can get help from your MP or CAB or both as you are clearly eligible to PIP and should not have to wait so long to go to Tribunal. Do hope you can find a way to get the message across to DWP as your health won't be helped by your situation..   
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Hayward, 

ESA is the benefit that assesses your capability for work, PIP is for the extra costs and needs relating to your illness or disability, so a doctor's sick note alone isn't going to help.
    You need to focus on the activities on the decision letter, and explain which ones you can't do without the help of another person or an aid. Any medical evidence that you can find or provide that relates to how your health problems affect you in regards to these activities will be really helpful. Good luck!

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• calliejosh
    calliejosh Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi wondering if someone can help me I was wondering if I am eligible to claim pip I had a shoulder replacement just over year ago I work as a cleaner was full time after op I was advised by surgeon not to go back to work as it would only wear shoulder down more quickly as they estimate  10 years u get out of it if not using it a lot I went back to work part time thinking I would be fine if I took it easy but not the case as I now get muscle spasms which r extremely painfully and can last all day so I have been depending on my children more and more lately
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hi calliejosh

PIP is assessed in relation to your ability to perform 'Daily Living' activities, such as getting up/washed/dressed/etc - there is not enough information above for me to assess your potential entitlement, but I recommend that you take the PIP self-test on the benefits and work website, as that will give you an indication

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-self-test

Hope this helps! Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.