On ESA and want to start a degree - help? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

On ESA and want to start a degree - help?

Frazzled Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I am on ESA at the moment due to anxiety and depression, I really want to start a degree in September but as a single woman with a son away at uni, how would I afford to pay rent and bills? Would I still get ESA? would I still get housing benefit?

Please help, as time is running out for me to apply for the course.   o:)


  • steve51
    steve51 Member Posts: 7,154 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Frazzled

    It's great to meet you and welcome to our online community.

    Please pop over to our home page where you will find lots of info on Benefits.

    You will also find a Benefits Advisor on hand to help you.

    We have also got a Benefit Calculator which might be off help.

  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,105 Pioneering
    Hi @Frazzled,

    I'm sorry that you haven't received a response to this yet. Given the urgency of your query, please give our Helpline a ring on 0808 800 3333 or email: [email protected] and they will be able to offer some help and support.

    I have also moved this into our 'Ask a Benefits Advisor' category. @BenefitsTrainingCo, do you have any advice?
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hi Frazzled,

    You can only claim ESA and HB as a disabled full time student if you get PIP. If you only get ESA and HB you will be excluded from both if you go into advanced education. Even if you were getting PIP, they will also take any possible or potential student loans (minus certain disregards) into account against your entitlement as well. ie if a student loan is available to you but you decide not to apply for it, the amount you could get may be taken into account as your income against your entitlement.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Does this help @Frazzled ?
    Senior online community officer


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.