Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

No face to face assessment for P.I.P

Lu83 Community member Posts: 3 Listener

I apologise in advance for spelling, grammar and just making sense. Not sure how much of my health situation I need to put here so it doesn't become a tmi but enough to get some understanding.

Anyway Im in need of advice with my P.i.P. 

I had requested a Home Visit as I had been in too much pain and having mobility problems.

Instead of arranging for the home visit, they made their decision through my old DLA, and P.I.P questionnaire ( and what medical report they got).

I was awarded Enhanced rate on Mobility as I am an amputee that is using a wheelchair.

They however gave me Standard rate for the Daily Living section.

So I requested the Mandatory Reconsideration notice, stating that I had no face to face assessment and would rather they come and see my situation.
And picked 3 sections for them to recheck.

For the MR I had pointed out 3 sections: Washing&Bathing, Managing toilet needs/incontinence and Dressing and undressing, needed to be looked at again.

  • W&B awarded: 3/8
  • MtN/Incontinence awarded: 2/8 
  • Dressing/Undressing awarded: 2/8
However nothing was changed and they stuck with their previous descriptor decided.

I have had a hemipelvictomy (right side) and have suffered multiple operations to help with incontinence. 

I have a carer coming 3 times a day to help me along with my mother who cares for me.
(Anyone needing a carer coming in would know how the social workers come to assess your needs face to face and there's no nonsense with them)

Even though I have a supra pubic catheter that is changed monthly by district nurses (blockage/infections/leaks)  and using pads.

I don't know the logic in being awarded that low for the incontinence section. 

I've stated I have aids to help when possible (closmat toilet/shower wheelchair).

They believe as I have no upper limbs restrictions that I'm abled to do all those which they rewarded those scores to. Even handling a catheter.

Except as I am missing a hip on one side and have a catheter there.... It's difficult to sit, let alone wiggle about when getting dressed or washing.

I answered honestly thinking back on days when I could, and for most part I like to be independent and able, even if I do it.. Come night or next day, I'm on morphine and tramadol.

I don't know how else to proof to them other than they coming over to see me and my 'aid' usefulness.
Those aid are there when I can use it and it's with the help of another.

I really don't know how to word or proof that it's not just that I am an amputee and someone with incontinence. The pains, discomforts, infections, side effects and the mental strain.

 I doubt my GP or Consultant letters show the difficulties I face.  I even don't mind their own Doctors examining me.

Just writing here I am shaking and feel embarrassed. (Deleted 3 times and been writing for 3hrs)
Even offline I don't make a fuss or speak out. I blankout when on the phone, not able to keep arguing if needs, usually ask someone to do the phone calls. Or remind me of things and help when out. None of that matters to them. 

So any advice will help. 

  • About Tribunal and what I should state. 
  • Were they wrong to not allow a home visit/face to face.
  • What kind of other evidence should I have.
  • I don't know about going there and if I do what if they (dwp) say I am capable of travelling or sitting for long. So I have no grounds to request home visit.

 But if I don't go then they won't see me, and my unavoidable disability and pain that they seem to minimise. 

Sorry I really don't know who to talk with about all this. Thank you for reading this.


  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @Lu83 You have asked a lot of questions I cannot answer but just to say you have no need to apologise for anything. I feel your pain both physical and mental in being in this situation. The Benefit advisors are usually around more during the week so hang on and know help is on it's way.. I'd just like to say that evidence can be from anyone who knows you, not just your Doctor. From what you say a report from your social services assessment would be especially useful. Letters from family members saying they are your carer and what they do to help you. Specialist letters, a print out of your medical history from the surgery anything that shows what your disabilities are and when they started or were diagnosed. 
                 A home assessor will only stay in one room and ask you questions so you won't be able to show them the problems you have anywhere else. 
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,471 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Lu83 and welcome to the community.

    Please don't be embarrassed, we are here to try and help you. The benefit advisers don't generally post at the weekend but hopefully one of them will respond to you Monday.

    If enough evidence is provided and they can score you based on this then they will.

    Mandatory Reviews tend to return the same response as the assessment and are designed to put people off from appealing.

    In general it is better to stick to the points you are arguing, why you feel the points awarded for each item is wrong and why you believe it should be higher. 

    As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

  • rosie55
    rosie55 Community member Posts: 40 Listener
    Don.t feel embarrassed.. contact cab ,welfare rights etg or your local mp might be able to help you .x
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2017

    Hello and welcome
    Generally a GP letter is required for a home visit, stating that you cannot attend the office.
    Have you made your request to the tribunal ? You do not need to go into detail to lodge your request.
    Have you asked the DWP for a copy of the assessment report ?
    This will show you what points you have to argue about. It will be full of lies and misrepresentations but try not to focus on these. you will only will your appeal by showing that you meet the criteria for the descriptors/points
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering


    I think you have done all the right things so far. The next step is to submit your appeal. I don't think the DWP have done anything wrong by making a decision based on the medical evidence and your forms, but it may be that the decision is wrong - if the evidence they had should have shown them you score 12 points for the daily living component.

    You can have a look at the points system here

    I assume from your post that you are saying you should have got 8 points for those 3 activities?

    So, on the appeal form you don't have to be particularly detailed. You could just say, I should have got 8 points for each of washing & bathing, toilet needs & dressing/undressing, therefore I should have got the enhanced rate.

    You can go into more detail in what's called the submission to the appeal tribunal. Include a copy of the mandatory reconsideration letter, than the DWP response.

    As for evidence, as people have said above, evidence can be from anyone who knows you, for example, your carer, or social workers (and if you have a copy of the social services report which was done for your care package, that is helpful too).

    I agree with people above that you can't demand a home visit and though I can understand why you want one, I'm not sure that it would have been any better - unfortunately, as Wildlife says, assessments based on home visits don't always give an accurate picture of your difficulties anyway.

    As for attending the tribunal or not, most appeal venues are accessible, but it is possible to have an appeal hearing in your own home in rare cases. Otherwise, the tribunal will pay for the transport you need. I think you should ask for what you personally think you need - thinking about the difficulty of getting there and what pain or discomfort that might cause you.

    You can opt for a paper hearing where you don't attend the tribunal. I wouldn't normally recommend that, but given the conditions you describe, if you have strong evidence from people who know you, then this is worth considering. However, if you feel able to attend, or want to request a home visit from the tribunal, you could do. You should include a letter from your doctor if you do request a hearing in your home, confirming that you are not able to travel at all, even in an ambulance. I'm sorry, but it's only in very rare circumstances that they hold hearings in people's homes, but if they refuse, you can appeal that decision.

    Finally, I'd recommend getting help with the appeal if you can, for example from a local disability charity, or a CAB - there are services in some areas which will provide a home visit from a benefits adviser.

    The Benefits Training Co:

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.