Hi, my name is Paulette40! — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Hi, my name is Paulette40!

Initial PIP consultation gave my partner "standard" living needs rate and nothing for "mobility" needs.  I sent a letter for the mandatory reconsideration (this took 4 months for their decision).  I have today received the response and he is still on standard rate for living needs and they have also given him standard rate for mobility.  I don't agree with this, he should be on enhanced rate for both as he has Cerebellar Ataxia and is very unsteady and often falls.  Since his initial assessment, the physiotherapist has given him a walking aid and his GP has now referred him for a support worker.  What do I do next so that I can continue to get the higher rate?  Any help would be appreciated.


  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,216 Disability Gamechanger
    Your next step is to appeal to an independent tribunal. First step is to submit an SSCS1 form with your basic reasons for disputing the award. There is plenty of info on this site about this

    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • steve51
    steve51 Member Posts: 7,154 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2017
    Hi @Paulette40

    Welcome to our website and online community.

    I'm very sorry to hear about your current problems.

     Hi @BenefitsTrainingCo

    Sorry but I have got another one that I could do with some help ???

  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hello Paulette40

    You will have to submit an appeal on the SSCS1 form as CokneyRebel posted.

    PLEASE NOTE, that if you do appeal the decision a Tribunal will consider all the rates of PIP, that is they can increase, reduce or keep the same award of PIP that is already in place.

    The appeal form is a simple form to complete.  There are however a few things to mention about filling the form. 
    1. It is best to request an oral hearing, as then you have a chance of explaining face to face what difficulties your partner has.  There is also a much higher success rate when people attend the appeal. 
    2. The grounds of appeal can be simple e.g. I can only walk a few metres due to pain and falls, and I need a lot of help from my partner to look after myself.
    3. The tribunal Service must have received this form within 1 month of the date of the Mandatory Reconsideration decision.
    4. You must attach a copy of the Mandatory Reconsideration to the form

    I have put a link to the SSCS1 appeal form below:

    Once this form has been sent to the Tribunal Service, you will next receive an acknowledgement letter.  If you do not receive this letter in 14 days contact the Tribunal Service to ensure they have your appeal form. 

    Then everything will go quiet for 6-10 weeks whilst PIP prepare a bundle of appeal papers that explains why they made the decision they did. This bundle will be sent to you and will include for example copies of application forms, and copies of medical evidence including a copy of the medial assessment. 

    Next you will be sent a hearing date.  

    If you want to send a response to the Tribunal and medical evidence this must be done at least 7 days before the hearing.  If you send medical evidence make sure that it is relevant and specific to the PIP descriptors.  I have put a link to the descriptors below.


    The whole process can take around 6-8 months.  

    Good luck


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.