Autisim and eating — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Autisim and eating

amandap
amandap Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi
My boy is 6 he looks and wears clothes for a 3 year old. He has not put on weight since january. School never told me he wasnt eating lunch.  He has food allergies to milk, soya,wheat, gluten and egg. He also has speeh and lanuage disorder, social and emotional disorder, learning difficulties,and autisim. I am at my wit ends all i got told from a professional was well he looks ok to me. I am having a nightmare to get food in him any ideas pls? Xx thank you x

Comments

• Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    You need a second opinion. Can you ask for a referral to a dietitian?
  • KirstenNutritionAdvisor
    KirstenNutritionAdvisor Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
    Hi how about making things with coconut oil and coconut flour? I am away this week on holiday, but will reply next Tuesday properly! 
    What is he currently eating? Does he like food?? How were his allergies discovered? What is his reaction? Have you read about GAPs diet by Dr natasha campbell? Google it and you will find lots of recipes and ideas to help you! Xx 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AlexW_Scope
    AlexW_Scope Scope Posts: 224 Pioneering
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @VioletFenn, do you have anything to add on this?
    Liam
  • VioletFenn
    VioletFenn Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Huge apologies, I'd missed the notifications for this post somehow, I'm really sorry. @amandap - does your son have appointments with CAMHS or similar? It does sound like he needs some help - even if it's just to reassure you that he's getting enough nourishment etc. As someone's already commented, ASD kids really do often have problems with the textures and tastes in food - my own 13yr old is very limited in what he will eat, and at 47 I can't eat most fruit (although I actually love the taste of it) because the texture makes me gag. 

The main thing is to find what he can and will eat, and give him enough of that to keep him growing and feeling well. Which is easier said than done, I know! If your 

It really does sound like you need to speak to a qualified dietician - your GP should be able to give you more advice on this, or a CAMHS consultant can refer you. The waiting lists are long, but worthwhile. 

Re the professional who told you he looks 'okay' - can I ask who or what that person was? Did they actually check his weight etc? 

Violet
    ASD advisor, Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.