ESA questions — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

ESA questions

Pee Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have been confirmed as in support group for contributory esa.
i was on working tax credits, which has now been stopped and would like to continue with a self employed project that i can just about manage at around 16-20 hours a week.
am i allowed to do this without deductions to esa?

i also have changes with my boyfriend who recently moved in and all forms have been sent to esa regarding change.
How much money will we receive?
He is not ill or disabled but his contract for work finished at the end of July.

There have been A LOT  of delays and inaccuracies regarding esa and trying to deal with them.
So thank you for putting up this site. I'm really pleased to see some straight answers after months of trying to get help.


  • steve51
    steve51 Member Posts: 7,154 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2017
    Hi @Pee

    A very big welcome to you to our online community/website it's great to have you onboard.

    I'm very sorry to see you have such problems with esa.

  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Pee welcome to the community - I have moved your post to the benefits advice category
    Senior online community officer
  • dogfather
    dogfather Member Posts: 61 Connected
    Hi I believe if you are in the support group for ESA I believe you can work less than 16 hours a week & earn £120. You can carry on doing this so long as you stay in the support group & into 52 weeks if you are in the work related activity group. I think it's called permitted work. I don't think your partner will have any effect on your contribution based ESA. 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering

    Hi @Pee

    As @dogfather rightly says, if your hours are less than 16, and your income is no more than £120 per week, then this can come under the 'permitted work' rules. My only word of warning is that you must be absolutely certain that the work you are doing will not indicate to the DWP that you are fit for work generally (or at least fit for work-related activity) - as if it does the DWP may review your claim on this basis.

    As regards your partner moving in, the amount of contributions based benefit you receive will not be altered. If however you receive an income-based top-up including a Severe Disability Premium this will end. You state that your partner is currently out of work, therefore you could apply to have him added onto your ESA claim. This would be an income-based claim that would not affect your contributions based award, but would top it up to reflect the fact that it is supporting a couple not a single person.

    Both of these changes are things that you have to report to the DWP in any event.

    Hope this helps,

    Kind regards,


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • loobylou84
    loobylou84 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Can anyone tell me how long it takes to make a decision about Severe Disability Premium 

    i have recently been awarded daily living PIP standard rate and was sent the form about SDP
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    edited August 2018
    Can anyone tell me how long it takes to make a decision about Severe Disability Premium 

    i have recently been awarded daily living PIP standard rate and was sent the form about SDP
    [email protected] the quickest way is phone ESA and go through the form IS10 as it can be done over the phone and they can see you get PIP that's what I did when I change from DLA to PIP. Then it will be added to your ESA if your entitled to SDP. All done within weeks.
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

    You can see the video here.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.