Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

ESA and PIP

itsmeitsme Member Posts: 3 Listener
Just wondering if someone could help plese. I am getting ESA and have just been awarded PIP, I was wondering if you have to delare to ESA that you are getting PIP, or will they know already? I have been trying to contact them by phone but never get through. Thanks

Replies

• CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    You not need to declare PIP it is a non means tested benefit

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • itsmeitsme Member Posts: 3 Listener
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hi itsme

However, you may be entitled to an extra  premium (£62.45 per week)  if you let the ESA department know about your award, especially if it includes the daily living component and you live alone and no-one gets a carers allowance for looking after you.

So it could be said to be a good idea to let them know. As CR says, PIP isn't means-tested, and it isn't deducted as an income resource in  ESA calculations,  but getting  it may increase your entitlement. to ESA. 

Best wishes

Gill
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    The premiums are paid on Income Related and not Contribution based ESA.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Yes indeed! I should have said that.
    Best wishes

Gill
  • itsmeitsme Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thankyou everyone, I will phone them tomorrow
  • Amy65Amy65 Member Posts: 11 Listener
    Just got mandatory decesion back from pip won't over turn decesion still only got 9 points for care even though on dal got full care not sure about to appeal or not
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Amy65 said:
    Just got mandatory decesion back from pip won't over turn decesion still only got 9 points for care even though on dal got full care not sure about to appeal or not
    80% of mandatory reconsiderations remain the same. 65% of those who appear at their Tribunal have a decision in their favour, it's much less for those who ask for a paper based decision.

DLA and PIP are totally different, with totally different criteria. PIP is all about how your conditions affect you daily. Have you had a look at the PIP descriptors?
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.