What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Help with finances query

Retlock4Retlock4 Member Posts: 2 Listener
I have four children still living at home. The youngest being 15. My son of 20 years old has autism and cp and this means my ability to work is restricted due to caring for him. I work 16 hrs. However, my partner who has no responsibility for my children now lives with me. The problem being that any money he earns is included in tax credits etc and he ends up payingmore towards the bills. Is there a way that this can be avoided? Thank you


  • steve51steve51 Member Posts: 7,175 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Retlock4

    A very very big welcome to you this morning.

    I'm so sorry to hear about your current situation.

    I will pass you over to our "Benefit Advisors"

    They are best placed to help you with this !!!


    Can you please help me with this post ???

    Many thanks.
  • NystagmiteNystagmite Member Posts: 608 Pioneering
    Unfortunately, it can';t be avoided as tax credits go on your household income.
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi Retlock4,

    Unfortunately for all means-tested benefits and credits, if you are part of a couple that live together, both of your incomes will be taken into account when your entitlement to Tax Credits is calculated.
    Does your son get Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment? Does he claim Employment & Support Allowance?  Do you get Carer's Allowance for looking after him, although there is an earnings limit of £116 a week from employment?
    I can't see any way around your issue with Tax Credits but please consider the above to see if you can increase your son's income.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • Retlock4Retlock4 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for your responses. I thought that was the case but was hoping for different! My son does get DLA and ESA, he contributes to the household bills. I don't get carers allowance as I earn about £170 a week in a job where he can come with me or I work from home to be with him. We just keep on I guess and hope to stay afloat! Thank you. Loretta

Sign in or join us to comment.